Ask any nurse if he or she has heard the phrase, “Nurses eat their young,” and you’ll get nods of sad recognition. Nurses choose their profession to deliver compassionate and effective patient care, and then they discover the ugly in nursing: nurses can be horrific to each other.
Finally, here is a book to guide nurses along a new path. Renee Thompson, DNP, RN, CSP, a bullying and incivility nurse expert with extensive experience in direct patient care, leadership, and education across healthcare venues, tackles the dirty secret that has plagued nursing for years.
- How to respond to the two types of bully behavior: overt and covert
- What to do to make yourself less attractive to bullies
- Specific manageable steps to stop the bullying
- Sample responses to common bully attacks in nursing
- What to do if you’ve tried everything without success